Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Rhe's Book Shelf - Tangled Ashes


 Tangled Ashes

I am happy to be bringing you another book review today, brought to you by Tyndale Publishing company.  This particular book combines a lot of things that I like in my reading material - mystery, historical aspects, romance.


Title: Tangled Ashes
Author: Michele Phoenix
Summary:  When Marshall Becker arrives in Lamorlaye, France, to begin the massive renovation of a Renaissance-era castle, he unearths a dark World War II history few in the village remember. The project that was meant to provide an escape for Becker instead becomes a gripping glimpse into the human drama that unfolded during the Nazi occupation and seems to live on in midnight disturbances and bizarre acts of vandalism

What I Thought
This is the first book that I have read by Michele Phoenix.  She is amazing writer.  The way she forms her words is beautiful.  The characters were great and the whole idea of the story was wonderful.  I really loved how there was such a historical aspect to this book.  The place is a real place, what happened there is real, and the fictional characters experienced things that happened to real people.  I'm kinda a succor for that, especially when it comes to WWII.  The book kind of dragged in the beginning, and I felt like the build up was a little slow though, and the whole issue with Becker was disjointed.  I realize that sort of seems to fly in the face of what I said earlier, but trust me, she's an amazing writer none the less.  The blending of the current with the past was really great and it definitely kept me cranking forward in the book to get to the next tidbit.  I usually like my stuff wrapped up in a neat bow, and I was half pleased.  I really wouldn't mind a sequel to this book if that's any indication to you.

Rating
I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.  Like I said, the book was well written and there was so much that I loved about it.  There were things that I wish were different, but wouldn't we all about most books we read? But all in all it was a really good book and I would feel confident recommending this book to anyone that enjoys a little romance and mystery with a historical twist.  And while, from reading the author's bio, there is obviously a serious faith behind her and this book, it is definitely not something that is jammed down your throat and I think anyone interested in faith or not would like this book and find it enjoyable to read.


Disclosure: I received this book from Tyndale Publishing, and Handlebar Publishing, for review.  No other compensation was received in extra for a positive review.  My opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

  1. Hmm I may have to check this out, thanks so much for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...