Saturday, February 2, 2013

Apps for Kids: Learning Spanish is fun with Little Pim

Unfortunately I have succumbed to the ridiculous torment of a child who wants the fun blinky thing in my hand.  Fortunately it hasn't reached def con 5 level or anything, but try as I might whenever that little blinky thing is in view point one, or all, of them want it.  I've reviewed apps in the past (check my review tab up top), but this is my first foreign language app.  My MIL is completely fluent in Spanish and she speaks to my kids in it occasionally.  I love it!  My foreign language was Sign Language, which I'm still glad I took, but knowing Spanish would definitely come in handy, plus I think its great to expose your children to a foreign language, whether its Spanish, French, German or whatever.   So I was quite happy to review a great children's app called Little Pim.

Here's a little bit about Little Pim:

Little Pim is the brainchild of Julia Pimsleur Levine, an award-winning documentary filmmaker and mother. Julia was inspired by her own bilingual childhood; she learned French fluently by age six and is the daughter of Dr. Paul Pimsleur, who created the Pimsleur Method, the popular language learning program for adults.  The Entertainment Immersion Method® integrates the latest scientific research regarding kids’ language learning and brain development. Pimsleur Levine developed the series with leading neuroscientist Dr. April Benasich, director of the Rutgers Infancy Studies Lab. Each of our educational DVDs has a unique, child-friendly theme, such as eating, playtime and feelings. The method teaches 360 words and phrases, providing the essential building blocks for language learning. A child only needs 500 words to be considered “conversational” in a language. Babies, toddlers and kids respond enthusiastically to Little Pim’s format, which combines animated and live-action videos.
At Little Pim, we understand how children learn, so our videos are segmented into 5-minute episodes to accommodate a young child’s attention span. Simple sentences are broken down into easy-to-understand parts and reinforced through repetition by native speakers.
Read why parents and celebrities love Little Pim and have made it the leading method for introducing young children to a second language.


I downloaded Little Pim on my iPhone, in Spanish.  I absolutely love the set up of this program.  Its adorable and fun.  My four-year-old was glued to it.  The pace of it was good, and even I enjoyed watching it.  I have another language program we regularly use.  I believe Little Pim is quite comparable to other Children's Language Programs.  It is modern and will be comfortable for children to watch.   There are so many languages to choose from, including Italian, Portuguese, Arabic and Russian.  What's so great about Little Pim is the many ways you can choose to view it.  You can adapt it to your family and what's best for you.  Like I said, I have it on my iPhone.  It is available to download on iTunes for $12.99.  There are also DVDs, programs for your child's Leap Pad, as well as two free apps from the Apple App Store - a cute coloring book and a game.  Little Pim can also go on the road with you, with Little Pim music cds!

If you're looking for a way to introduce your children to a foreign language, either just for fun, or maybe because a relative speaks a language and you and your child want a fun way to start learning or refresh yourselves, I recommend Little Pim!  You can go to their website and try some for free.  There are also a couple specials going on right now: If you enter PIMCHOICE you can get 20% off, and in February they are offering free shipping, with the code FEBSHIP.

Follow them on Social Media for specials, info and discounts!
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...